Monday 27 June 2011

Nexus Two will feature 1.2 GHz CPU

Rumor: Nexus Two will feature 1.2 GHz CPU, headed to T-Mobile

WARNING: This post contains rumors and speculation from Android Insiders. If you do not want to know the likely specs of the Samsung “Nexus Two” then do not read this story and unplug from the Internets till November 8th (or is it the 11th). You have been warned – the goods are after the jump.

The Rumor

The Samsung “Nexus Two” phone will feature:

  • Stock Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
  • 1.2 GHz processor (don’t know which model)
  • 4 inch AMOLED display (don’t know resolution)
  • 5 megapixel camera with autofocus and HD video capture (don’t know about flash), front-facing camera (don’t know resolution)
  • 512 MB RAM, 16 GB internal storage
  • Support for multiple carriers (radios are unknown)
  • All the usuals like WiFi, Bluetooth, 3.5 mm headset jack, etc.
  • Outer casing is a mix of metal and plastic materials

I believe these specs are final, but sometimes things change between test units and those that ship to retail stores.

As we first reported it will be coming to multiple carriers, and we now have enough evidence to suggest T-Mobile is on-board. The “Nexus Two” will be sold unlocked, direct to consumers just like the first Nexus phone, but Google will test out the retail waters instead of limiting sales to just online.

The Source

After the last week of writing about this Samsung phone, I now have five separate sources who have confirmed this phone is real (including one who is testing it). If you still don’t believe me,Gizmodo’s Matt Buchanan also confirmed the phone as did PCMag’s Sascha Segan.

One Android Insider’s take on the rumor

Yesterday reminded me why I love blogging. I never thought a single topic could generate so much discussion or become a top trending topic on Twitter and I sincerely appreciate all the feedback.

I thoroughly enjoyed everyone trying to debunk the rumor, but this isn’t about who’s right or who’s wrong. This is about sharing the things I have dug up so that others can go out there and find even more information (example: Giz and PCMag).

Some people will continue to argue over the name or exact reveal date, but we all know this phone is real now. I’ve said several times that the product name is not “Nexus Two”, but I will keep using it when referring to this Google-experience phone until the actual name is announced by Samsung.

Others are also really stuck on the date and trying to use that to discredit the story, but does that really matter? My original source told me it was coming on November 8th (which I still believe), but someone else told me it would launch on November 11th. Either way, you will be able to get your hands on this phone soon.

It comes as no surprise that T-Mobile is on board for the 2nd Nexus phone. They were the first carrier to support the Nexus One and I’m glad to see them back for round two.

As for the specs, this is looking more and more like a turbo-charged Galaxy S. I believe there are still some surprises to be revealed, but as I said earlier it might not blow your socks off.

Isn’t it funny that people are already complaining about a 1.2 GHz processor when it will be the fastest available at launch? Maybe that’s my fault with all my excitement about Tegra 2 phones.

For everyone crying about plastic phones…really? Yes, the outer casing of Samsung’s Nexus phone will contain some plastic materials, but there will also be metal used too (like the back plate).

At the end of the day, I think an unlocked phone running the latest stock version of Android trumps another locked-down BlurSenseWhiz phone with newer hardware. That is the reason why the Android phones I have purchased with my own money include the G1, Nexus One, and G2.

Overall, I think you will be fairly impressed with the phone when it is officially announced. If you are not impressed with the hardware, just wait till you see everything Google packed into the software.

With as many test phones as there are out there, I expect we will have some pictures this weekend.

Cross posted from Android and Me

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More